Submit Articles / News
As part of continuing efforts to improve the quality, variety, and range of services The Virginia Engineer offers to its clients and readers, several options for information dissemination are offered.
General Press Release information: Information for review and possible publication in the News section on our website, www.vaeng.com, will need to be submitted as Word .doc attachments or as embeds in HTML emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
News Shorts are offered as a free service designed to highlight industry news, i.e. mergers, acquisitions, firm relocations, contract awards, headquarters or branch office openings, pertaining to the engineering community at large, and Virginia in particular. Selected information will appear in the Bits and Pieces section of the electronic magazine or in the News section at www.vaeng.com.
EOM Press Release information: information submitted for review and possible publication in our Engineers and Their Colleagues on the Move (EOM) section will also need to be submitted as Word .doc attachments or as embeds in HTML emails to email@example.com.
Artwork, portrait format, is welcome and should be sent as attached files in either .tif, .eps, or .jpg format. Target size is 2″x2″. Engineers and Their Colleagues on the Move is offered as a free service designed to highlight personnel news, i.e. new staff additions, promotions, retirements, awards, professional society officers, pertaining specifically to the engineering community in Virginia. Selected information will appear in the Engineers and Their Colleagues On The Move section of the electronic magazine.
Due to the volume of incoming correspondence, receipt acknowledgements for General and EOM press releases will only be provided through the ‘delivery or receipt notification’ option in your browser. Status notifications will not be sent as RSS feed options are available to track electronic postings.
ARTICLES: Abstracts and articles, Feature and/or Guest, submitted for editorial review and possible publication in The Virginia Engineer will need to be submitted as Word .doc attachments or as embeds in HTML emails to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a maximum length of 1500 words. Related artwork is encouraged and should be sent as attached files in either .tif, .eps, or .jpg format or as high resolution PDF files. Participation by Virginia’s engineers is strongly encourage and actively solicited in ‘spreading the news’ about the broad range of engineering activities and accomplishments here in the state. Prospective articles must relate to some aspect of engineering and, most importantly, must be news, not simply an infomercial. Selected articles will appear in the Feature or Guest article section of the electronic magazine.
General requirements include:
1. Publication of submitted articles is based on approval by and at the sole discretion of our editorial staff.
2. Submitted articles become the property of The Virginia Engineer and may appear in future issues of the electronic magazine.
3. There is no implied or written guarantee that submitted articles will be published.
4. Articles submitted for possible publication must be received at least sixty (60) days ahead of desired issue publication. Articles planned for possible inclusion in the June issue, for example, must be received no later than April 1st.
5. Articles must be news oriented, not infomercials, and intended to reach the engineering community. For example, a company may have introduced a product which is new to their existing product mix but previously had been available industry wide from other manufacturers. This is actually a product announcement and is not considered news in the normal journalistic context. Content must be vendor neutral whereby direct or implied promotion of a particular product or brand or manufacturer is strenuously avoided.
6. Biographical, industry related, and contact information pertaining to the author should be provided with the article and would be used for accreditation in a separate ‘About the Author’ sidebar.
7. Submitted articles are subject to editing as required by space constraints. Any edited article will be returned for approval by the author prior to publication.